Learning and Development
The early learning goals and the educational programmes are set out in the “Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage” document (Department for Education, 2021).
The three PRIME areas of learning and development are:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development (PSED)
- Communication and Language (CL)
- Physical Development (PD)
The four SPECIFIC areas of learning and development are:
- Mathematics (MD)
- Literacy (L)
- Understanding the World (UTW)
- Expressive Arts and Design (EAD)
At Westcliff Primary Academy we believe these areas are all important in order to promote the development of the ‘whole child’. We aim to deliver all the areas through planned, purposeful play, with a balance of adult-led and child-initiated activities.
What to expect in the Early Years Foundation Stage - A guide for Parents/Carers